What is the purpose of this qualification?
This qualification is for Construction Supervisors with the responsibility for checking, co-ordinating, and monitoring the quality of work carried out by Construction Operatives in civil engineering and building projects. It is designed to assess occupational competence in the workplace where learners are required to demonstrate skills and knowledge to a level required in the construction industry.
What does this qualification cover?
This qualification is based on the latest National Occupational Standards for Occupational Work
Supervision. It is written to the agreed national occupational standards for competence in occupational work supervision in construction, and is entirely vocationally-related in its content. As an NVQ, all units within the qualifications are derived from these occupational standards directly, and evidence of knowledge, skill and understanding will be gained from a workplace or a realistic workplace situation.
There are five mandatory units, these are:
- Confirming Work Activities and Resources for an Occupational Work Area in the -Workplace;
- Developing and Maintaining Good Occupational Working Relationships in the Workplace;
- Confirming the Occupational Method of Work in the Workplace;
- Implementing and Maintaining Health, Safety and Welfare in the Workplace;
- Co-ordinating and Organising Work Operations in the Workplace.
Learners must then complete a minimum of two units from the optional units available in specialist areas including:
- Allocation and Monitoring of Plant and Machinery,
- Monitoring Work Progress against Schedules,
- Confirming Quality Standards of Work,
- Implementing Procedures Supporting Team Performance,
- Co-ordinating and Confirming Dimensional Control Requirements of Work and
- Contributing to the Circulation of Construction-related Project Information in the Workplace.
How is this qualification assessed?
This qualification is assessed through a portfolio of evidence gathered from a range of sources, including workplace activities and realistic work environments, professional discussions, questioning and observation of performance.
Who can take this qualification?
This qualification is for all learners aged 16 and above who are capable of reaching the required standards and have opportunity to demonstrate practical skills in a realistic construction working environment. Learners do not need any prior qualifications, knowledge or experience before starting the qualification. Although this qualification is a component of the Advanced Apprenticeship in Construction Technical Framework (Occupational Work Supervision Pathway), it is also suitable for learners who may need or wish to take the qualification on its own. For example, learners, working full, part-time or on a voluntary basis, or those who are not new to the role but need to upskill and/or demonstrate competency in the areas covered by the qualification.
What can this qualification lead to?
Learners can progress across the level and size of the construction and the built environment competence and knowledge qualifications and into other occupational areas such as team leading and management.
Potential job roles for those working towards this qualification are:
- Construction work supervisor
Who supports this qualification?
The specification for these qualifications has been approved by the Welsh Government for use by centres in Wales and by the Council for the Curriculum Examinations and Assessment (CCEA) for use by centres in Northern Ireland. This qualification has been accredited onto the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF).
- Durationmin. 4 months
- Skill level2